Monday, November 26, 2012

I'm on Easy Street in Quiltville

I have started the mystery quilt with Bonnie Hunter at Quiltville. It is called Easy Street.  I started Orca Bay last year and it is still in PIECES.  I hope that I can keep up with this one!  I also plan to work on Orca Bay as I have time.

Here is one of my strips when starting Part #1 released November 23rd. (The fabric requirements and recommended color ways are HERE.)


I sewed the two strips together and then nested two strips right side together. 



 













I used the Shape Cut ruler to cut the 2 inch blocks. (Sorry the picture flipped sideways.)
Here are the cut strips.  (Sorry the picture flipped upside down.)





 
I can now take them to the sewing machine and chain sew them one after the other.  Be sure to feed in the grey square 1st with the seam allowance pointing to the back.  Use a stilleto to hold the seam down.  The seam should nest and match perfectly.

Here are the stacks of "TO DO" and "DONE."
 
 
Next came the pressing.  I did 10 at a time - 2 rows of 5. 
 
 

I pulled out the 2 stitches on one side of where the 4 seams came together.
 
 
 
Then I set the seams with the iron, gave the seams a twist, opened the block, smushed the 4 patch in the center, pressed it again.  I started out pressing from the right side but I kept having a crease in one of the blocks.  Once I finger-pressed and put the seams next to the ironing board, the crease stopped forming. 
 
Here are some freshly pressed 4 patches. 
 

AND  Here they are!  205 4 patch blocks!  FINISHED!!
 
 
 

 
Here is the link to everyone who is sewing along on Easy Street!  


 
Thanks to Bonnie Hunter for sharing her time and talents with us!
 
 

4 comments:

  1. Nice fabrics.
    Liebe Grüße Grit

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your 4-patches look lovely. Looking forward to Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job. I too am going to continue to work on my Orca Bay.
    I used to live in Clemmons but live south of Charlotte now just over the border. Nice to hear from someone near.
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love seeing what everyone has pulled out for the background and their choice for constant! Thank you for sharing yours, Sharyn

    ReplyDelete

All positive comments and constructive suggestions are welcome and appreciated! Happy Kwilting!