Friday, July 13, 2012

Bernina Binder Attachment #88 - The GOOD, The BAD and the UGLY!

              I have had my Bernina 830 for a year now.  I purchased the binding attachment #88  when it came out and looked for instructions about how to use it.  I have the largest one (38 mm) and it is suitable for attaching quilt binding.
                I found  THIS video on the YouTube site but it was not in English.  I watched the video and it was helpful up to a point. I went to the Bernina site and found THIS information.  At the time, those 2 links were all that I could find about the Bernina Binder Attachment #88.  
                 I also tried to find out how wide to make the binding in INCHES.  I could only find the information in MMs.  The large one is 38 mm which translates to 1.5 inches.  The finished binding is 10.5 mm which translates to .41 inch wide.  (a little less than 1/2 inch)
                 Later I learned of this TUTORIAL through one of the Bernina Series 8 Yahoo groups that I am a member of.  It shows how to do the corners.  
                  I decided to take pictures and blog about my first experience with the Bernina Binder Attachment #88.  Today I will give you the GOOD.

The GOOD


1.        It WORKS – It ACTUALLY WORKS!

Here is the front of part of the quilt.


Here is the back part of the same section:

2.        You do not have to use bias binding.  It will work with straight grain binding.  Because I could not figure out the corners, I started making rounded corners and straight grain worked beautifully with the rounded corners and the binder.  More on those tricky corners in the UGLY section.
3.       Don’t forget that you must use a 95 C foot with the binder.

4.       Use a seam ripper to push the binding strip into the binder.

5.       I cut the binding 1 ¼ “ which was an ok size.   The next time I used 1 ½” which I liked better. 

And that concludes the GOOD stuff that I can say about my first experience with the Bernina Binder Attachment #88!
Next -  The BAD!

No comments:

Post a Comment

All positive comments and constructive suggestions are welcome and appreciated! Happy Kwilting!