Saturday, July 14, 2012

Bernina Binder Attachment #88 - The BAD!

This is the 2nd installment of my first experience with using the Bernina Binder Attachment #88.  Yesterday I shared the GOOD.  Today I am sharing the BAD!


The BAD


1.        I could not figure out how to attach it.  The instructions were not clear to me. The picture was too little and I couldn’t follow the written instructions. 

a.       Here is a picture of the correct setup. 

                                                               i.      The large black screw fits in the holes on the base of the sewing machine. 

                                                             ii.      The smaller silver screws in the back loosen so the attachment can be slid closer to the foot or further away from the foot. 

                                                            iii.      Note the piece that butts up next to the foot on the side.

                                                           iv.      The binder butts up next to the front of the foot.

                                                             v.      The binder will swing away from the foot if needed.

2.      I loaded the binding incorrectly at first.  The WRONG side needs to face you.  The RIGHT side needs to face AWAY from you. 

3. Speaking of binding, DON’T let it get twisted like this. WHAT A MESS!

4. I ended up putting it behind the machine so I could keep an eye on it in case it twisted again.


5.       I read somewhere that it was better to zig zag the edge before using the binder. (You can see it well in the picture above.) This would keep the edges together and compress the batting.  My thought process was:  I wanted the binder so I would NOT have to make 2 passes around the quilt.  If I had to sew a zig zag stitch around it, I was STILL making 2 passes around the quilt.  So, I tried it without the zig zag on the next quilt and had no problems.  It was actually better because I did not have to worry about covering the zig zag stitch.  I used cotton batting on both quilts so it was not thick to begin with.
The ugly is scheduled for tomorrow.  Trust me, it is REALLY, REALLY UGLY!

No comments:

Post a Comment

All positive comments and constructive suggestions are welcome and appreciated! Happy Kwilting!